Heath Hen Meadows
Heath Hen Meadow
Location and Description
Heath Hen Meadow Conservation Area (46 acres) is comprised of three parcels: Heath Hen Meadow, located off Meadow Ln in the Heath Hen subdivision; the Flerra Land, located between Burroughs Rd and Coolidge Farm Rd; and Sylvan Springs, bordering Mayfair Dr and Old Harvard Estates. Trail entrances with parking are located on the west side of Burroughs Rd, just north of Priest Ln, and on the cul-de-sac on Mayfair Dr. The entire length of trail including spurs and loop is about 1 mile long.
Heath Hen Meadow Brook traverses the area, giving the parcel its name. Heath Hens are relatives of prairie chickens that were driven to extinction by 1932, with the last remaining population on Martha's Vineyard. They inhabited open grassy areas, so it is obvious that a lot of changes have taken place on this land over the years since Heath Hen Meadow Brook was named. The Heath Hen and Sylvan Springs portions of the protected area are mainly wetlands. There are no trails on the Heath Hen portion. The Flerra portion is rocky woodlands with mixed hardwoods and wet lowlands. A quarter mile loop runs through the upland portion along old stone walls, and then the trail continues behind Coolidge Farm Rd and connects by a red trail to Mayfair Dr.
Edward Flannery donated the 20.3 acre Heath Hen Meadow parcel to the town in 1991. The adjacent 20.49 acre Flerra Land and 5.03 acre Sylvan Springs land were donated by Northwest Structures in 1993.
Abundant wildlife and plant life on this parcel include great blue herons, barred owls, foxes, coyotes, a wide assortment of ferns, and pitcher plants.