What happens if there is an overpayment on my Real Estate Tax?

Overpayments will be applied to the next quarter unless it is the last quarter of the fiscal year. Otherwise refunds are handled as follows.

Real Estate or Personal Property Tax Refunds

A refund check is issued to a taxpayer who has a credit balance on their bill, provided that they supply the Tax Collector with the proper information, and they have no other outstanding taxes due and payable to the Town.

  • If the credit was caused by overpayment, a request for refund should be accompanied by a copy of the canceled checks (front and back) for the fiscal year(s) in which the credit(s) exist. If the property has recently been purchased or refinanced, please also include a copy of the Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Settlement Statement, which lists the details of the taxes paid at the closing. Please include your name, the property address, and the parcel ID with your request and payment information.
  • If the credit was caused by abatement, the refund will automatically be issued unless the property has changed hands during the fiscal year. The refund will usually be returned to the record owner. If the property has been sold during the fiscal year to a new owner, the date of transfer (deed date) and the information on the HUD Settlement Statement will determine who is eligible for the refund. If you have any questions, please contact us.

Show All Answers

1. What do I need to do if my mortgage company pays my taxes?
2. What happens if I do not pay my bill on time?
3. What happens if there is an overpayment on my Real Estate Tax?
4. What is the "CPA" surcharge on my tax bill?
5. What should I do if I recently sold my property, but I am still receiving a tax bill?
6. What should I do in the event I do not receive my bill?
7. When are tax bills mailed and payments due?
8. Where should I mail my tax payment?
9. Why should I pay interest on a late payment if I never received my bill?